Monday, June 11, 2007

Taking a break from the sea....

I am in Greece right now. It has been a week since we arrived and I am just now getting to internet. We are staying in a small town on the Western coast of the southernmost tip of the Pelopenese peninsula. Neapolis, Lakonia. The house is amazing, the weather has been pretty good compared to what we are used to in Chicago.

There is a lot I could reflect on but maybe it is just good to let people know I am still around. Maybe a brief summary....

Our flight was a long 9.5 hours but not as long as it seemed that it should be. It seemed as if we had just had a really long night: we landed at 2:00 am our time, 8:00 am Greek time. So we essentially skipped a night. It was too exciting to sleep in the drive in. We met our first driver, a cabbie whose name I never really got, at the airport. He took us to a gas station where we met George who took us 4.5 hours south to Neapoli. The cabbie drove our rental down. Coincidentally Joe had rented us a new red VW Polo. It is a class smaller than my car and a bit more stripped down but the buttons are all in the same places which was nice, something familiar. The drive down was really long, Julie and I both drifting in and out of sleep. For the first time I can remember I was a little carsick toward the end of it. Driving in Greece is very interesting. I wish I could say more...the best I can figure, Greeks dont like to drive and do it as quickly as possible so as to get it over, so that they can go back to relaxing at tavernas, cafes and other such places of hanging out and relaxation.

I dont exactly remember what happened when we made it to the house, I think my memory had shut down with lack of sleep and amazement at the enormous house we were staying in for the next two weeks. I took a lot of pictures which will make it to Flickr someday.

Well ok, so much for a brief summary of our travels. There is more since then but time is up right now. More will follow when I can get some internet again.

No comments: