Sunday, October 07, 2007

Borrowed Hardware


09.29.07_KAMvisit_028
Originally uploaded by ajdele
In other news I have migrated all of my photo processing to the computer that I use at work/school. Translation: I am the photographer for McCormick as well as going to school there. They have a very nice PC workstation with very large calibrated monitor, endless (relatively) disk space, dual processors and much nicer software than I have. by the way, I love Adobe Lightoom. The only downfall is that it is not multi-user capable, which is a problem that we are starting to run into. On that front it really needs a free client reader program that can access the catalog, view adjustments and do basic exports. as it is I have to do all the accessing of things because others who need to get at those images cant be bothered (rightfully) to learn the program and get the images the right way. I dont really mind that but it is very dependent upon me being there, which will change when I graduate.

Anyway, I am using this machine to do all my processing now. I now shoot everything in RAW which my laptop did not have the capability to really work with. I have been feeling that I have this great opportunity before me with all this great equipment (that I do not think I will ever be able to afford) at my disposal. when I leave McCormick I feel like I will have to buy a new computer with at least the power to rock out RAW files more effectively.

This was taken at KAM Isaiah Synagogue down the street from me. This was a side chapel, check the flickr stream for pics of the main sanctuary. It was really a beautiful building. This room in particular, the lighting was very...striking. The yellow light is a skylight through yellow glass, the white lights are halogen or incandescnets. The curious thing is that when you are there you think the white lights are daylight and the yellow light is some kind of strange powered variety. Had to be shot in RAW, my D70 had absolutly no idea what to do with it. It gives an impression of the conflicting light colors.

Its hard to get at what the overall impression is. I guess it really felt that I was in a very special place. I really like when natural light is included in worship spaces, especially in a skylight. Windows, with light coming in from the sides, lets you see what is on the other side and for me is a connection with the other world. It makes the context of the worship service/study/whatever in the "real world" with trees and cars and bulidings and such. This chapel at KAM didnt have any windows directly visible but brought soft diffuse (yellow, dont know how I feel about the color) light down from the sky. very nice.

No comments: